|Best Overall||Fiskars 30 Gallon HardShell Bottom Kangaroo Garden Bag||Check Price||
Sticks cannot pierce the hard shell bottom of this 30-gallon reusable leaf bag.
|Best Value||Leberna 72 Gallons Reusable Garden Waste Bags||Check Price||
Take on large yard cleanup projects with this affordable four-pack of reusable leaf bags.
|Best Reusable||WORX WA0030 Landscaping 26-Gallon Collapsible||Check Price||
Collect yard debris with this reusable leaf bag, then collapse it to save space when it’s not being used.
A yard is an enjoyable benefit to any home, giving you space to host barbecues, sit outside while sipping your morning coffee, and play with the kids or pets. However, a yard doesn’t take care of itself, so to continue enjoying the lawn, patio, deck, and any foliage, it’s necessary to mow the lawn, trim the hedges, weed the gardens, and rake the leaves.
Each of these tasks requires a leaf bag to collect the grass trimmings, sticks, weeds, and leaves, otherwise, this debris may be blown all over the yard. The best options are typically reusable or they are ready-made for curbside disposal and pickup. Start your search for the best leaf bag with this list of top products, then keep reading for additional information to help you choose.
- Best Overall: Fiskars 30 Gallon HardShell Bottom Kangaroo Garden Bag
- Best Value: Leberna 72 Gallons Reusable Garden Waste Bags
- Best Reusable: WORX WA0030 Landscaping 26-Gallon Collapsible
- Best Disposable: Stock Your Home Eco-Friendly 30 Gallon Kraft Leaf Bag
- Best Drawstring Tarp: Rocky Mountain Goods Drawstring Tarp
How We Picked These Products
Yard maintenance and landscaping have been a regular task for years, so this experience, as well as extensive product research, helped to select these top products from 35 potential choices. When it came to the deciding factors, I considered various types of leaf bags and made choices that represented the variety of options that are available. Additionally, I took the capacity or size of the leaf bag into account and whether the container had any additional features, like a collapsible form, built-in handles, or recyclable/compostable construction.
Preference was given to reusable products and products that were biodegradable, while any options that were simply re-labeled trash bags were eliminated from selection. The size and capacity were important factors to help compare prices between similar products. If the size and construction were relatively equal, then the less-expensive option was preferred, while any special features made a product more favorable, allowing the leaf bags to be compared and selected for the best quality, functionality, and affordability.
Best Leaf Bag Reviews and Recommendations
Best Overall: Fiskars 30 Gallon HardShell Bottom Kangaroo Garden Bag
Why It Made the Cut: The hard plastic base and tough vinyl construction ensure that sticks, thorns, and other sharp objects won’t tear or pierce the bag.
- Capacity: 30 gallons
- Material: Hard plastic and vinyl
- Type: Reusable bag
- Collapsible container for simple storage
- Built-in carrying handles
- Must use with disposable bag or regularly clean
The Fiskars 30 Gallon HardShell Bottom Kangaroo Garden Bag is well suited to the task of collecting leaves, sticks, weeds, grass clippings, and other yard waste. It has a hard plastic bottom that helps to protect the bag from being pierced by sharp sticks and the tough, vinyl construction resists tearing, so users can focus on cleaning up the yard instead of worrying about the bag. Just keep in mind that this reusable leaf bag is meant to hold a disposable yard bag that can be removed once it’s full.
While users can put yard waste directly into this bag, it isn’t advised because the waste would need to be transferred to a yard bag for curbside pickup and the user would then have to clean out the bag. This 30-gallon option has built-in carrying handles that make it easier to move around the yard while cleaning. When the yard is cleaned up, just collapse this bag and store it safely in the garage or shed until it’s needed again.
Best Value: Leberna 72 Gallons Reusable Garden Waste Bags
Why It Made the Cut: Inexpensive and effective, each reusable leaf bag has a massive capacity of 72 gallons, ensuring that grass clippings, weeds, sticks, leaves, and more can be collected without rapidly running out of space.
- Capacity: 72 gallons per bag
- Material: Polypropylene woven fabric
- Type: Reusable bags
- Drawstring to tighten the top of each bag
- Built-in carrying handles
- Impressive capacity
- Collapsible and foldable for easy storage
- Must use with disposable bags or regularly clean bags
Take on yard maintenance tasks with this four-pack of Leberna 72 Gallons Reusable Garden Waste Bags, which are ideal for collecting hedge trimmings, weeds, sticks, moss, grass, leaves, and other debris. Each leaf bag in this four-pack can carry up to 72 gallons of yard waste, ensuring that users can work for hours before worrying about running out of space in the collection bags. However, it is important to use disposable yard waste collection bags inside these reusable bags, so that it’s simple to close and lift the disposable bag out when it’s full in order for the yard waste to be collected by the local curbside pickup service.
Carry the bags with the built-in carrying handles and pull the drawstring to tighten the top of the bag to prevent leaves from blowing away while the user works. The water-repellent coating on the polypropylene woven fabric ensures that soggy leaves, soil, and other wet yard waste cannot damage the material. Then, when the job is done, just collapse the bags or fold them up for storage in the shed or workshop.
Best Reusable: WORX WA0030 Landscaping 26-Gallon Collapsible
Why It Made the Cut: The built-in spring opens the tough, durable leaf bag as soon as it is unlatched so that it’s ready to go when it’s needed.
- Capacity: 26 gallons
- Material: Treated canvas cloth
- Type: Reusable bag
- Collapsible container
- Built-in carrying handles
- Durable canvas cloth construction
- Must use with disposable bag or regularly clean bag
- Small capacity
With this reusable leaf bag, users can quickly collect leaves, grass, sticks, weeds, and other yard debris without worrying about the bag tearing or falling apart. Simply unlatch the collapsible bag and the built-in spring will automatically open it and hold the bag in an open position so that it’s easy to fill with yard waste. Just make sure to put a disposable yard bag into the bag for quick cleanup and yard waste removal.
The WORX WA0030 Landscaping Leaf Bag is made of tough, durable canvas cloth that is designed to resist cuts, tears, and piercing damage from sharp sticks, thorns, and weeds. It’s treated with a water-resistant solution to help prevent mold and mildew from growing while the collapsible leaf bag is in storage. However, users will want to keep in mind that this bag is best for small yards because it has a capacity of only 26 gallons.
Best Disposable: Stock Your Home Eco-Friendly 30 Gallon Kraft Leaf Bag
Stock Your Home
Why It Made the Cut: Use these disposable leaf bags on their own or with a reusable bag for fast, effective yard maintenance.
- Capacity: 30 gallons
- Material: Paper
- Type: Disposable bags
- Biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable
- Affordable 10-pack
- Suitable for direct curbside pickup
- Vulnerable to ripping and tearing
- Damp or wet yard waste can weaken the bag
Create a nice, clean yard by cleaning up fallen leaves, collecting sticks, pulling weeds, cutting the grass, and disposing of the yard waste in one of these biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable leaf bags. The package comes with 10 disposable bags and each bag has a capacity of 30 gallons, allowing users to gather up to 300 gallons of yard waste for curbside pickup.
While these disposable leaf bags are made with heavy-duty, tear-resistant paper, it’s important to note that they are far more vulnerable to rips, tears, and piercing damage than a standard reusable bag. The affordable Stock Your Home Eco-Friendly 30 Gallon Kraft Leaf Bags can be used on their own to clean up the yard, but if the yard waste is wet, it may weaken the heavy-duty paper and cause the bag to rip. Consider using these disposable bags with a reusable lawn bag to quickly and effectively clean up the yard without worrying about spills.
Best Drawstring Tarp: Rocky Mountain Goods Drawstring Tarp
Rocky Mountain Radar
Why It Made the Cut: This 9- by 9-foot tarp is ideal for collecting fallen leaves and it is designed with built-in handles for easy maneuverability, as well as a drawstring that can be cinched to create a leaf bag.
- Capacity: 81 square feet
- Material: Polypropylene woven fabric
- Type: Reusable tarp
- Made for heavy leaf collection
- Built-in handles to carry or pull
- Easy to cinch the drawstring to secure leaves
- Contents must be transferred to a disposable bag for collection
- Leaves are vulnerable to wind during cleanup
The Rocky Mountain Goods Drawstring Tarp is specifically designed for collecting fallen leaves, sticks, and other yard debris that can be raked onto the flattened 81-square-foot surface. By using the drawstring that runs through the borders of the tarp, the sides of the tarp can be cinched together to create a leaf bag and trap the collected yard waste until it can be dumped into a disposable yard bag for curbside pickup.
The corners of the tarp have built-in handles so that it can be carried or pulled across the yard, though users will want to pay close attention to the wind and where they place the tarp to avoid having the collected leaves blow off the tarp. This reusable yard cleanup product is made of thick, polypropylene woven fabric that has been treated with a UV-resistant formula to help prevent premature breakdown from prolonged exposure to the sun.
Things to Consider Before Buying Leaf Bags
The point of a leaf bag is to help make yard maintenance and cleanup easier and more efficient, so it’s important to take the time to better understand the product and key product features before deciding on the best leaf bags for your home. Consider the type of bag, the capacity, and the material to find the product that stands out from competitors.
Leaf bags can be split into three main categories made up of disposable, reusable, and reusable leaf tarps.
- Disposable leaf bags are typically made of paper or plastic and they are specifically intended to be thrown out after the bag is full. Plastic disposable leaf bags are not recommended because plastic doesn’t break down as quickly as paper products. Instead, paper disposable leaf bags are typically biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable, so they can be thrown out with the yard waste without negatively affecting the environment.
- Reusable leaf bags are usually used with a disposable leaf bag in the same way that a trash can is used with a trash bag. These bags are made with thick, durable material that is resistant to cuts, tears, and piercing damage that may occur as a result of sticks, thorns, or other sharp objects.
- Reusable leaf tarps are designed to lay flat on the ground to help facilitate leaf collection, but they can also be tightened to form a leaf bag for easy carrying and disposal. Just keep in mind that any yard waste on the tarp before it is cinched is vulnerable to the wind.
The capacity of a leaf bag is typically measured in gallons, though reusable leaf tarps measure the capacity with the total square footage of the tarp. Some products may also provide the exact physical measurements, including length, width, and height, but this isn’t always given. Typically, the leaf bag capacity will range from about 25 to 80 gallons, depending on the size of the product. Just make sure that the capacity of the reusable leaf bag is the same or slightly larger than the capacity of the disposable leaf bag when the two are used together.
Regardless of whether the leaves are getting collected in a disposable bag or a reusable bag the material used to make the bag can influence the quality.
- Paper is commonly used to make disposable leaf bags because it is a biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable material that won’t negatively affect the environment. However, paper is vulnerable to ripping, tearing, and piercing. It can also become weak if the bag is exposed to water or wet yard waste.
- Plastic is an available option for disposable leaf bags, but it isn’t a popular choice because plastic breaks down slowly and can cause damage to the environment. The material is also prone to ripping and tearing, though it is waterproof.
- Polypropylene woven fabric is used for making reusable leaf bags. It’s a durable material that’s both flexible and strong, ensuring that the collected yard waste won’t rip or tear through the bag.
- Canvas cloth is heavy-duty, plain-woven fabric that is excellent for cleaning up yard waste due to the tear-resistant construction. If the canvas is blended with synthetic fibers, it can also become water-resistant and prevent water from seeping through the bottom of the bag when it’s placed on wet grass.
- Vinyl is a type of plastic that is made from ethylene and chlorine. It’s regularly used to make reusable leaf bags and the material is naturally resistant to water, making it ideal for early-morning yard maintenance when the ground is still wet with dew.
Q: Can you use clear plastic bags for leaves?
Use reusable or disposable leaf bags to collect leaves and other yard waste. While biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable bags are best, some regions will allow you to use clear plastic bags for leaf collection, just make sure to check the local regulations before picking up a pack of plastic bags.
Q: Should I bag wet leaves?
You can bag wet leaves, if it’s necessary to get the yard work done in a hurry, but it’s advised to wait until the leaves dry out to rake them up and bag them. This is because wet leaves are difficult to clean up with either a rake or leaf blower, and if they are dumped into a paper bag the water will likely soak the bottom of the bag and cause it to rip.
Q: How do you bag leaves quickly?
A great way to quickly bag leaves is to lay plastic sheeting, then rake the leaves onto the plastic. Pull the corners of the plastic together and pick it up to collect the leaves. Alternatively, you could use a reusable leaf tarp that is specifically designed to help facilitate leaf collection.
Tackle small- to medium-sized yard maintenance tasks with the durable and reusable Fiskars 30 Gallon HardShell Bottom Kangaroo Garden Bag, or take on larger projects, like raking up leaves for multiple trees with the four-pack of Leberna 72 Gallons Reusable Garden Waste Bags.