|Best Heavyweight Flannel Sheets||Pinzon Signature Cotton Heavyweight Velvet Flannel Sheet Set||Check Price||
Get ready for winter toastiness with these heavyweight flannel sheets that weigh in at 190 grams.
|Best Classic Plaid Flannel Sheets||Stone & Beam Rustic 100% Cotton Plaid Flannel Bed Sheet Set||Check Price||
Perfect for some holiday fun or a more general rustic feel, these sheets will up your comfort game quickly.
|Best Value Flannel Sheets||Comfort Spaces Cotton Flannel Sheets||Check Price||
Get all the warmth at a lower cost.
It’s about that time again—time to embrace all things cozy—and, yes, we’re talking about flannel, particularly at night. For those new to the world of flannel, this fuzzy, soft-woven fabric provides incredible insulation. Flannel has a brushed surface (literally from brushing out the woven fabric fibers) and does a great job retaining body heat while remaining breathable. No sweaty sleep here!
There’s really nothing better than sleeping in an über comfortable bed during the chillier months of the year. Having the right flannel sheets will level your comfort game up exponentially, so it’s important to choose wisely. The following sets are some of the best flannel sheets on the market, so start shopping before the first frost hits!
- Best Overall: Stone & Beam Rustic 100% Cotton Plaid Flannel Bed Sheet Set
- Bes Value: Comfort Spaces Cotton Flannel Sheets
- Best Lightweight: Mellanni 100% Cotton Flannel Sheet Set – Lightweight
- Best Heavyweight Flannel Sheets: Pinzon Signature Cotton Heavyweight Velvet Flannel Sheet Set
- Most Luxurious Flannel Sheets: WOVEN Deluxe Portuguese Flannel Sheets
How We Selected the Products
Before you dive headfirst into any ol’ flannel-lined bed, let’s get something straight: Not all flannels are made equal. Some are simply better quality than others. The rule of thumb in identifying quality flannel has to do with the following key factors. We compared over 50 flannels to find a variety that can suit different sleep needs, from a light extra layer for fall nights to dense sheets for the coldest winters. Here’s what we looked at while making our picks.
- Weight: Instead of measuring the thread count, flannel is measured by its weight (often described as grams per square meter). A high quality flannel sheet will weigh in at 170 gsm (grams per square meter) or above—and you can expect the heavier it is, the more expensive it will be, too.
- Yarn Thickness: The finer the yarn, the better quality the flannel. Big manufacturers tend to use thicker yarn because it yields easier results in inexpensive machines, which results in a less soft product.
- Yarn Length: Longer fibers tend to create a stronger, more durable fabric.
- Material: Flannel can be made from cotton, polyester, synthetic, wool, or a blend of fibers. Typically, cotton fibers will provide the most ideal balance between temperature control, breathability, and feel.
There are other aspects to consider when choosing flannel sheets, but having a basic understanding of these factors will help you decide on the best product for you. Luckily, we’ve done the due diligence so you don’t have to: Check out some of the best flannel sheets in stock now.
Stone & Beam
Why It Made The Cut: Transform your bedroom into a rustic paradise with Stone & Beam’s plaid sheet sets—the quintessential winter requirement.
- Weight: 6.32 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 105″L x 105″W Shams: 20″L x 40″W
- Machine Washable: Yes
- Comes in multiple colors
- Machine washable
- 100% cotton
- No solid colors
These 100% cotton flannel sheets include a full-size top sheet, fitted sheet, and two pillowcases. They are OEKO-TEX Certified, free of harmful chemicals, and can be tossed in the laundry on a cold, gentle cycle. You can even mix and match your new sheet set with Wildin’s other products, including comforters and storage cubes. The company also offers a 90 day guarantee against any defects.
Best Value Flannel Sheets: Comfort Spaces Cotton Flannel Sheets
Why It Made The Cut: Comfort Spaces Cotton Flannel Sheets are the perfect option for a go-to pair of flannel sheets made from 100% cotton that come at an affordable price.
- Weight: 5.54 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 1 Flat Sheet 90(W) x 102(L) inches; 1 Fitted sheet 60(W) x 81(L) x 14(D) inches; 4 Pillow Cases 21(W) Xx30(L)
- Machine wash: Yes
- Affordable option
- 100% cotton
- Some shedding
Ready to invest in some new, comfortable bed sheets but don’t want to break the bank? Luckily, there are plenty of great, wallet-friendly flannel bed sheets out there. While it’s true you may have to compromise a bit on certain quality factors, the following recommendation comes pretty close to rivaling some of the more expensive sheet set lines.
Comfort Spaces Flannel line comes in 14 great designs—from cool plaid to floral and even holiday styles to choose from. Certified safe by OEKO-TEX, these flannel sheets will bring you next-level coziness. The set includes a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and four pillowcases for all sizes. It fits mattresses up to 15 inches in-depth and can be machine washed and tumble dried.
Best Lightweight: Mellanni 100% Cotton Flannel Sheet Set – Lightweight
Why It Made The Cut: Mellanni’s Flannel Sheet Sets are made with 100% cotton and offer deep pockets and elastic all around to ensure you get the perfect fit with each newly made bed.
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: Flat sheet 108 x 102 inches, Fitted sheet 78 x 80 inches, 2 Pillow cases 20 x 40 inches
- Machine Washable: Yes
- Deep mattress pocket
- Elastic for fit
- Some smell upon opening package
These sheets are available in eight classic colors, as well as two prints (plaid or snowflake, anyone?), and come in sizes from twin to California king. They have a double-napped finish leaving a velvety feel, weigh 160 grams (perfect for the fall months), and are fade, stain, shed, and wrinkle resistant. Plus, Mellanni offers a special lifetime promise: If you’re not satisfied, you can return the sheets, no questions asked.
Best Heavyweight Flannel Sheets: Pinzon Signature Cotton Heavyweight Velvet Flannel Sheet Set
Why It Made The Cut: You may never get out of bed after sleeping on these Pinzon Heavyweight Flannel Sheets, which are gloriously soft, breathable, and stylish.
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 15 x 10.7 x 8.4 inches
- Machine Washable: Yes
- Velvet flannel is extra soft
- OEKO-TEX certified
- May be too warm for some sleepers
Available in seven gorgeous colors such as Thyme Green and Italian Roast, plus three lovely florals, the sheets weigh in at 190 grams. They are 100% cotton and have gone through a unique combing process that removes short, uneven fibers and ensures all fibers are correctly lined up, leaving the fabric with optimal strength, a shiny appearance, and a smooth feel on your hand and body. Plus, they’re made in an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory, which provides a certification system that ensures all textiles meet high environmental and safety standards.
Most Luxurious Flannel Sheets: WOVEN Deluxe Portuguese Flannel Sheets
Sometimes flannel seems to have a reputation of being less fancy than linen or pure cotton, but in reality, flannel can be super luxurious. What happens to those flannel-and-luxury lovers, then? If this sounds like you, say no more. If you’re looking for the highest of the high-quality flannel sheets, take a peek at these luxurious flannel sheets by WOVEN.
WOVEN Deluxe Portuguese Flannel Sheets come in six colors including oatmeal, pacific, and pine. They feature a “universal-fit” with deep pockets, oversized dimensions for mattress depths of 6 to 18 inches, and ultra-thick elastic to ensure you achieve a secure fit. These sheets are available in twin, twin XL, full, king, and California king. You’ll also receive a 5 year guarantee when you purchase these comfortable bed sheets.
Things to Consider Before Buying Flannel Sheets
Not all flannel sheets are created the same, which is why you should consider some personal preferences before making your selection.
- Temperature: When you think of flannel, you probably think of the chillier months of the year. Depending on where you live, you may experience four vastly unique seasons. That’s why you’ll likely want to embrace a different kind of flannel in the fall versus the winter. In fall, it’s more comfortable to use a lightweight set of flannel sheets, but in the winter it’s a good idea to up the ante with some heavyweights.
- Design: While flannel-patterned and holiday-printed sheets can be fun during the winter months, if you want more versatile sheets that can be used in fall and spring, we suggest opting for a neutral design. That said, if you’re only going to use the sheets in the chilliest months (like November, December, and January), a seasonal design can be a fun addition to any room.
How long do flannel sheets last?
Flannel is a durable fabric, and even after a good wash, it typically gets warmer and softer as opposed to showing too much wear and tear. A good quality flannel sheet should certainly last two to three years. A great quality flannel bed sheet could last you upwards of four years.
Should you wash flannel sheets before using?
As with most new sheets, it’s best practice to wash flannel sheets before sleeping in them. When you take the sheets fresh out of the packaging, it’s normal to see some excess fibers. Giving them a quick rinse will help remove these unnecessary bits. You can also add in a half cup of white vinegar, which may help to prevent pilling and fading.
Do flannel sheets get softer after washing?
Generally, if you follow the instructions (tumble dry, gentle wash, etc.) on your new sheets set, you’ll notice your flannel sheets getting a bit softer with each wash. That’s not to say that you should overwash them, but a normal wash here and there will help make your sheets feel softer and more luxurious over time.
Flannel is the quintessential fabric for the chillier months of the year. That applies to not only coats and sweaters, but bed sheets too. A good flannel bed sheet will provide comfort and coziness, and possibly cause you to hit the snooze button a few more times than normal.
When choosing your new flannel bed sheets, think about the quality of the yarn and fibers, the weight, and the price point. Once you’ve decided on a new flannel sheet set, you’ll be counting sheep in 3, 2, 1.